Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Prior to the Trip & Booking

What if I forget something?

Our Trading Post is open daily from 6pm-9pm for necessary forgotten items (toothbrush, toothpaste, flashlight, etc.). We also serve hand scooped milk shakes, and sell SRAC hats and T-shirts. *If you have forgotten something unique, please let us know, and we will do our best to pick it up in town the next time someone make the trip.

Are there any physical requirements & Medical restrictions?

By purchasing an activity, trip, or course with the Salmon River Adventure Company you are acknowledging you are aware and meet minimum activity age and physical requirements. Requirements vary depending on the trip, and activity. Please consult individual booking pages for requirements and recommendations. Unless otherwise specified, all minors (17 and under) require the presence of an adult during whitewater activities.

Salmon River Adventure Company activities take place in a remote location and we ask that you inform the SRAC trip leader of any pre-existing medical conditions such as severe allergic reactions, heart conditions or physical injuries that you may have. If you have a medical condition that requires medication such as an allergic reaction to food/bees, asthma, diabetes or a heart condition, you are strongly advised to consult with your physician regarding your participation in this course and, if appropriate, carry any medication prescribed for your condition during this course. Additionally, please inform your trip leader of the medication you intend to carry and whether a family member or friend who is familiar with administering your medication will be participating in the course. On guided activities, your trip leader will be able to keep the medication safe and dry for you.

Does SRAC offer any discounts or packages?

We do offer discounts and packages when you book multiple adventures.

We also offer special discounts for groups of 10 or more people. Please reach out to us and we will try to accommodate your group.

What are your COVID protocols?

The Salmon River Adventure Company takes the health and safety of our guests, guides, and staff as a priority. We will continue to monitor COVID-19 recommendations and adjust accordingly. For guests who choose to join us on an adventure, we ask, as a responsible and conscientious traveler, that you assist us in following guidelines for the health and safety of our community.

Can I bring my phone/keys/wallet, etc?

We highly recommend you leave any personal belongings in your car before going on your rafting trip. If you have something that you are required to bring, please let your guide know and they will bring it in the group dry bag. 

What should I bring?

Trip Booking & Cancellation

This is not an exhaustive list, but a good start for your trip:

  • Shorts and swimwear
  • River shoes or old sneakers (no flip flops)
  • Synthetic t-shirts (no cotton)
  • Towel
  • Reusable water bottle
  • Sleeping bag
  • Pillow
  • Closed toed shoes for hiking and games
  • Rain Jacket
  • Band aids/tape
  • Synthetic/quick dry pants
  • Sunscreen
  • Bug spray
  • Toiletries (toothbrush, paste, hair brush, shampoo, soap, etc.)
  • Light fleece
  • Synthetic long underwear
  • Headlamp and/or lantern
  • Book
  • Sunglasses with strap
  • Sun hat or visor
  • Long sleeve sun shirt
  • Small dry bag for personal needs on the river


Please Note: All gear will be rafted across the river to get to our base camp. Please make sure to have it bagged in heavy duty garbage sacks or dry bags prior to reaching camp.

Can I arrive early? Or depart late?

If necessary, guests may arrive early or depart late with prior approval. Please reach out to us before your stay, so that we may accommodate your needs.

Is there fire danger?

The smallest spark as the potential to start a fire that can burn thousands of acres and cost millions of dollars. To help protect Salmon River Adventure Company and the Salmon-Challis National Forest from fire, campfires and other open flames are only allowed in the camp fire pit with prior permission. No fireworks are allowed in camp.

Can I bring electronics?

Yes, however, participants should take care with any electronics they may choose to bring with them. There is no cell reception anywhere in camp, and the ability to charge such devices is limited. Salmon River Adventure Company is not responsible for lost, damaged, or stolen devices.

Is there a public phone?

Salmon River Adventure Company base camp is located in the Salmon River Mountains, just a few miles from the Continental Divide. Being such a remote area, there is no cell phone reception. There is no public phone available in camp. We do have a landline for emergencies.

Do my children need to be supervised?

Families with children are welcome at Salmon River Adventure base camp.

  • Children under 12 must be supervised at all times at camp & must stay with parent/guardian on the river
  • Children 12 & older are allowed to kayak with a guide
  • Children 6 & older are allowed to go rafting with a guide
  • For youth groups, it is advisable to send two leaders per group of twelve participants

Do I have to pay now, or can you hold with a credit card?

For rafting, full payment is taken at the time of your booking, to reserve your trip. For our whitewater courses, 50% is due at the time of booking, and the remainder is due 60 days prior to your trip.

What happens if there is rain or bad weather when my trip is scheduled?

SRAC adventures run rain or shine. If inclement weather presents any safety issues, someone from SRAC will reach out to reschedule or offer a refund.

Can SRAC cancel my trip due to insufficient reservations?

We reserve the right to cancel any departure if we have insufficient reservations and will do all we can to reschedule or accommodate guests reserved on those cancellations. If we are unable to reschedule a departure due to insufficient reservations, a full refund will be issued.

What is your no-show policy?

To be fair to all guests of the Salmon River Adventure Company, guests who do not show up to their reservation without prior notice, will be responsible for the full amount of their reservation.

What is the Lodging Deposit/Damage Policy?

By making a Lodging Reservation with the Salmon River Adventure Company you accept and agree to the Lodging Policies outlined by SRAC and fully accept financial responsibility for any and all charges. By making a Lodging Reservation with the Salmon River Adventure Company you agree to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend the Salmon River Adventure Company, its owners, agents, and employees from any and all liability, damage, fines, claims, losses, or cost of any type including reasonable attorney’s fees, arising out of or relating to any claim for personal injury or property damage caused by the Guest, or Service Animal(s), and agree to make reimbursement for such damages on demand. By making a Reservation with the Salmon River Adventure Company you further agree to release, waive, forever discharge, and covenant not to sue the Salmon River Adventure Company related in any way to this agreement.

What is the Damage/Removal of Property Policy?

SRAC reserves the right to charge guests the cost of rectifying damage, caused by the deliberate, negligent or reckless act of the guest to the property or structure.

We reserve the right to charge guests the cost of replacing any items that are removed from the premises by them without consent. The charge will be the full replacement amount of the missing item, including any carriage charges.

Location, Accommodations & Food

Is there internet or cell service?

Typically, most people are not able to get cell service at our base camp. Some cell service is available 12 miles away in North Fork, Idaho. We also have very limited wi-fi, which is not available to our guests. With the new technology coming out daily, we do hope to have WIFI for our guests, at some point in the future. We do have a landline available in case of an emergency.

Do you allow pets?

  • We do not allow pets, with the exception of ADA compliant Service Animals.
  • Guests are responsible for their Service Animal’s behavior and SRAC reserves the right to charge the Guest’s credit card for damages and/or cleaning fees associated with authorized or unauthorized pet’s and/or Service Animal’s in SRAC facilities.
  • ADA compliant Service Animals must be declared upon check-in. SRAC adheres to the ADA definition of Service Animal.
  • SRAC reserves the right, when it is not obvious what service a Service Animal provides, to ask clarifying questions to determine the eligibility of identified Service Animals in accordance with 28 CFR 36.302(c)(6). We reserve the right to require changes, removal of animal(s) from the premises or to refuse or discontinue service without refund if, at the SRAC’s sole discretion, the Service Animal is considered dangerous, unhealthy, likely to frighten, harm, or disrupt guests, has damaged property, or for failure to abide by SRAC policies.

Do you offer onsite lodging and do you have tent camping?

To have a truly unique wild experience, our sleeping accommodations include platform canvas wall tents with cots, or platform bed with a “Paco” type sleeping pad. Each wall tent will come with a small lockable storage area, a solar light, 2 butterfly chairs, end table, rug, and broom. *We try to keep the critters out, but this is camping! We call it “fun, not fancy.” So, please bring your own sleeping bag and be prepared to experience wild Idaho.

What are the quiet hours?

Quiet hours are from 10pm to 7am daily.

How do we get across the river to camp?

Salmon River Adventure Company base camp sits on the opposite side of the river from the parking area. All participants and their gear must cross into camp via raft. Unless precautions are taken to keep it dry, gear will most likely get wet. Dry bags work well, but if you don’t own one, a duffel bag lined with a plastic trash bag will do. No river crossings will be made after 9:00 pm, and no one will be allowed to cross the river without a staff member present.

What is the smoking policy?

The Salmon River Adventure Company is completely a non-smoking facility. Any charges resulting from deodorizing the property or other smoke-related maintenance shall be the financial responsibility of the occupant.

What if I have an allergy or dietary restriction?

We try to accommodate some special dietary needs, but please let us know in advance. If you have a specific food allergy or sensitivity or if you have dietary restrictions based on a lifestyle choice or religious practice. If your food allergy is severe, we need to have a more in-depth conversation about what can and cannot be done. We cannot absolutely guarantee your safety if your food allergy is severe enough to cause anaphylaxis. You must bring an adequate amount of supply of your own Epi-pens to meet your needs. Please understand that one injection of an Epi-pen will only last 10-20 minutes and that an evacuation from the river may take hours. Please email [email protected] at least two weeks prior to your trip to let our kitchen staff know of any dietary concerns.

Are meals included in the price of our adventure?

Yes, most of our retreats and whitewater courses include meals. Meals are provided beginning with lunch the first day and ending with lunch on the last day.

Do you have food onsite?

The Eddy, our onsite restaurant serving local and organic meals, is a great place to recoup after your big adventure and take in the breathtaking scenery. The large covered wood patio is perfect for hanging out and enjoying a board game with your family. Meals are served at 8:00AM, 12:00PM and 6:00PM. If you are a coffee drinker, no worries, your coffee and/or tea will be hot and ready by 7:00AM.

*Please note, we only allow food in the dining area, and we are unable to allow guests to bring food to the camp. We do have wildlife in the area, and would like to limit those interactions as much as possible. If you have some small, sealed, personal snacks that you would like to bring, please let us know, and we will find a safe spot to store them.

How close is the nearest town/airport?

North Fork is the nearest town, 12 miles away. There is a small store with some groceries and clothing items and internet. Cell service is usually available here as well. Salmon, Idaho is the next largest city and is another 20 or so miles away. The nearest airports are the Idaho Falls, Missoula, MT and Sun Valley, Idaho airport. Each are approximately 3 hours away from Salmon River Adventure Company. Or you can fly into Boise and catch a quick flight on Gem Air from Boise to Salmon.

Is there internet or cell service?

Typically, most people are not able to get cell service at our base camp. Some cell service is available 12 miles away in North Fork, Idaho. We also have very limited wi-fi, which is not available to our guests. With the new technology coming out daily we hope to have wi-fi for our guests at some point in the future. We do have a landline available in case of an emergency.

What is the weather like?

In the summer months, it is usually sunny and warm, with high temperatures ranging in the mid 80’s to low 90’s and low temperatures ranging in the high 40’s to mid 50’s at night. Thunderstorms are common in the summer months as well.

Is there wildlife in the area?

Yes, this is wild Idaho! There is wildlife in the area and we need to be diligent about keeping food in the designated areas. We have not had any issues with bears, and we plan to keep it that way. We have a very strict policy regarding food in tents. We do have rattlesnakes in the area and we keep the trails clean and clear of brush and grass. If a participant sees a rattlesnake, follow the safety protocols for snakes, and then notify camp administration immediately.

Do my children need to be supervised?

Families with children are welcome at Salmon River Adventure base camp.

  • Children under 12 must be supervised at all times at camp & must stay with parent/guardian on the river
  • Children 12 & older are allowed to kayak with a guide
  • Children 6 & older are allowed to go rafting with a guide
  • For youth groups, it is advisable to send two leaders per group of twelve participants

Can I fish on the property?

Yes, however there is no fishing allowed at the waterfront due to the nature of the guides using that space to teach guests. We don’t want to be getting hooks stuck in our feet! Fishing is allowed farther up or downriver.


What is the whitewater like?

The 45 miles of the Salmon River from North Fork to the Corn Creek Boat Ramp, includes various classes of whitewater. From the calm waters of class I, to the thrilling whitewater of class IV, SRAC offers something for everyone. For the folks totally new to river running, or the experienced river runner wanting to take their skills to the next level, our experienced guides have you covered. The friendly characteristic rapids of the Salmon finish in a deep pool of water, allowing you a safe place to pull it together before the next rapid. If you have always wanted to try something new, this is a great environment to try rowing a raft, SUP or paddling a kayak.

How many people fit in one raft?

We generally have eight paddlers and one guide per raft, but this depends on bookings, availability, and water levels.

Will my group be split up and put with other people in a raft?

Generally, if you have six in your group, you will be able to raft together, but this is not always guaranteed. How the trip shakes out, depends upon a couple of factors like the size of your group, and the number of bookings for your time slot. The trip leader for your group will determine the raft assignments the day of your trip but will do their best to keep your group together.

Do you rent hard shell kayaks?

Yes, we do! We also offer sit on top kayaks, inflatable kayaks, and stand-up paddle boards. Please reach out to us to find out what is available.

Do you have a drug and alcohol policy?

The Salmon River Adventure Company cannot allow anyone impaired by drugs or alcohol to participate in any of our guided or unguided adventures.

What should I wear on the river?

In order to make sure you have the best experience possible, please be sure to wear appropriate clothing for getting wet (no cotton), as well as sun protection. Also, please be sure to wear closed toed shoes (flip flops are not allowed).

What are the age restrictions?

For rafting: 4 yrs or 6 yrs (Depending upon the current water levels)

For whitewater kayaking: 12+

For inflatable kayak, sup, or sit on top kayak: 12+

Do I need to bring my own lifejacket?

You do not need to bring your own life jacket or PFD. We are subject to regulations that require our guests to wear specific types of lifejackets which will be provided.

Do you allow customers with special needs?

The mission of Salmon River Adventure Company is to provide a fun and challenging experience for all participants. We will do everything within reason to accommodate any disabilities. If any participants do require special accommodation, please notify us at least one week in advance.

What does Class I, II, III, IV mean?

From American Whitewater:

Class I- Easy, flat moving water with riffles.

Class II- Novice level, straightforward rapids with wide, easy channels.

Class III- Intermediate, rapids with moderate, irregular waves and more maneuvering.

Class IV-Advanced level, powerful but predicable rapids. Requires precise boat handling.

What other activities are available on site at SRAC?

If you are feeling up for more when you get back to camp at the end of the day, we have a frisbee golf course, slack line, horseshoes, corn hole, and many board games for you to enjoy. Feel free to use our white sand beach with an eddy to swim, play, and/or practice your roll. Or just relax and recoup down by the river in one of our colorful Adirondack chairs.